Brampton Off the Wall

A good nights sleep and a lovely breakfast with our lunches packed in our packs, we headed out to a splendid morning.  According to our map and directions we were to turn left at a white house on the corner as there were no street names.  Our turn was not supposed to be far from the Sampson Inn so as we were walking down a street, a lady comes running out of her house and asks if we are walking Hadrian's Wall.  We said yes, and she said we had missed the turn as it was the house three houses back up the street.  She laughed and said she was going to put a sign in her car window to let hikers know if they could read the sign, they had missed the turn.  We laughed, headed back up the street and now made a right turn to get back to the Wall. 

Once out in the country again, we shared pastures with cows and sheep to the point that I felt I could now speak sheep and cow.  It was a beautiful morning as we came to the Irthing RIver and the Willowford Bridge.  The Willowford crossing holds quite an important place in the history of the Wall.  It was here that the stone Wall, which the Romans started to construct in Newcastle and extended westwards finally met up with the turf Wall from Bowness-on-Solway.  This was the last section of the Wall to have been built and once they joined the two sections together their barrier across Britain had been completed.

As we made our way up the hill we arrived at Birdoswald (the Roman name was Banna, meaning Spur) as the fort sits upon a spur above the River Irthing.  We had a chance to meet one of the Roman soldiers there who was kind enough to have his picture taken with us, only to find out he was from Wales.  Not wanting to spend the time to walk the grounds, we said good bye to our Roman soldier and headed on.

The wall in this section comes and goes and walking on we came to a snack hut where there was snacks and water with a box for the honor system.  While we had our lunches, there were picnic tables close by so we decided to sit and eat our ham and cheese sandwiches.

Walking on we found ourselves doing the up and down thing again looking for a sign to Newtown where we would need to get off the Wall and walk to Brampton.  It was getting late and the rain had started again.  In Newtown we met a group of hikers sitting on a bench waiting for a taxi to take them into Bramptom.  While it was getting close to being dark, we decided we would walk the shoulder of the road into Brampton as we were after all on a "Walk".  

The road was a two lane road with an overgrown shoulder that we tromped trough to get to a one lane bridge that was scary to cross.  We looked at each other and thought why were we being so stubborn and didn't take the taxi.  Soaking wet, we arrived in the pretty little market town and found our hotel the Scotch Arms Mews which was originally an Inn and now a luxury B&B.  We put the thought of having to walk that road again in the morning out of our minds at least for now.

Our bags at the bottom of the stairs, boots off, we carried out bags up, one at a time as we were to tired to each take a bag by ourselves.  I pretty little room overlooking the street we got cleaned up and headed out to find dinner.  Dinner was at the Sags Head and here we shared dinner with a couple we had met earlier on our walk.  A short wet walk back to theScotch Mews, we called it a night hoping tomorrow would be less wet.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published